Tuesday 10 October 2017

What a scorcher!

I know lots of you read my husband's gardening blog, so you'll know how much we love chillies, and that we went to a chilli festival at the weekend. Which of course put me in the mood to use these super chilli themed stamps from Rubberdance.


I stamped the chillis fist then masked them and masked off most of the card behind them to leave a strip running "behind" them. I then inked this strip with yellow and used a sponge to dab on orange and red. Instead of the usual dense craft sponges I normally use, I chose a more open textured one and dabbed the ink on very gently to make it look as if the strip had been sprinkled with spices. Before removing the masks I stamped "spicy" randomly over the strip.

Because this is a one layer card I didn't want to use Promarkers to colour in the chillis, as they would show on the inside, and my usual watercolour markers tend to show "brush marks" so I dug out my very old Marvy Le Plume pens (do they still sell those? Most of mine ran out years ago) and was pleased to find the bright red is still in good working order. I coloured them in with those and then went around the upper surfaces of the chillis with a blender pen to remove a tiny bit of colour to look as if the light is shining on them from above.

I am sharing this with
Less is More - Hot & Spicy Colours
Inkspirational - one layer card

9 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Fun card and certainly gives the appearance of more than one layer. Like your way of achieving that look. Amazon have the Victorian set of 12 pens available. They sometimes appear on EBay too which is where I got most of mine from but non on there at present. Hugs Mrs A.

Trina P. said...

Definitely a hot and spicy card! Love the design and how you coloured the peppers. A fantastic one layer card. Thank you for joining us this week at Less is More.

Cara said...

Love the inky strip on this great card with its brilliant sentiment x

Stempelomi said...

great chilli card!

Susan said...

Terrific card! Thanks for sharing at Less is More!

Sharon Traynor Designs said...

That's one sizzling hot card Jane! Such great images to go with the hot and spicy colours. I love all the texture you got into the inky panel - adds a bit more interest to what is essentially a really cool and funky card. Thanks so much for letting us see this at Less is More xx

Scrapmate said...

I love this, those chilli stamps are fab!

Nonni said...

What a cool one layer! Your chilis look so hot and delicious! Great CAS layout and wonderful use of the LIM colors. Thanks for joining us at Inkspirational and Less Is more!

maria f. said...

SO much interest and depth although only one layer. Great job!