Tuesday 5 April 2016

More inspiration from Nymans

I have posted this group of cards in two separate posts because although the inspiration behind them is the same, the theme and execution are very different. If you haven't already seen my first post about the beautiful stained and fusion glass work I saw at the weekend, why not take a look before reading on?

While I had all my encaustic painting stuff out, I decided to try another design inspired by the collection at Nymans. This one had magical swirls of reds, oranges and greens to set off the silhouette. The glass is fused in layers, but with encaustic art, the colours all go directly on to each other and I know from experience that using reds and greens together results in a muddy finish. So I kept to red, yellow and orange shades over the stamped area, and used green suction patterns on a separate sheet of card to create a background layer.

These cards served as a reminder to me to check the transparency of each wax before using it - the Stazon stamping will resist wax as long as there is little or no opacity to it. Anything with added white wax will just obscure it, and I found that my orange wax has a tendency to do the same, so in places my fairy looks as if she is emerging from the morning mists!

Again I have made two cards with slightly different placement of the colours and techniques.



I am sharing these with

Craft Rocket Challenges - Mythical Creatures
Crafty Creations Challenges - For a young girl (all little girls love fairies, my 6 year old granddaughter went wild for these cards and spent all of yesterday using the same stamps)
C.R.A.F.T. Challenges - Make your own background  

8 comments:

Barb said...

Two super encaustic cards. They really look stunning. Barbxx

Susan Sudbury said...

Me again :). These are fabulous cards, with amazing backgrounds!! Thanks for joining us at C.R.A.F.T. this time around :)
Susan DT

Lori Kobular said...

Two gorgeous cards! I love that fairy stamp and the sentiment on each card is so sweet! Thanks for playing along with us at Craft Rocket Challenges!

Cara said...

Love these fairies in their own magical grottos, lovely. Cara x

Dawn said...

Two beautiful cards! I think the mist makes it even more gorgeous!
Hugs
Dawn xx

Stampsnob. said...

Even the background sparkle this is beautiful TFS Craft Rocket Ch Lis Dt

Marlene Atkinson said...

Two gorgeous cards, Thank you for sharing with us at Crafty Creations Challenge. Marlene DT

I have some candy on my blog, would love if you would join in.

sweet art designs said...

Extremely creative. Thank you for sharing with us at the C.R.A.F.T. Challenge. - Myrna DT