Tuesday 25 August 2015

Myth and Magic at Cardz 4 Guyz

There's a super challenge this week at Cardz 4 Guyz - Myth and Magic. Think legends, King Arthur, Robin Hood, Merlin, Harry Potter,  Dragons, Sorcerers, Magic Potions or even magicians pulling rabbits from hats!

I decided to use this fantasy creature stamp - is it a dragon or a winged sea-serpent, do you think? - which is a Linda Luckin stamp from many years ago and no longer available. It's a stamp I come back to over and over again, I love the fact that it's not just magical but also slightly cute, in a monster-ish kind of way.

I stamped it on glossy card using Stazon ink and then got out my encaustic painting kit. I chose the "mystical" colours of purple, turquoise and blue to create my dragon's grotto. First I put a band of clear wax up the centre of the iron sole plate, then narrow bands of purple and turquoise each side and swept the iron up the card. Then I used the wax remaining on the card to create suction patterns around it, by gently dabbing the card against the sole of the iron and pulling it smartly away. For the lower third of the card, I added a little blue wax to the wax left on the sole plate. When I was happy with the suction pattern, I used the very edge of the iron to draw lines of blue wax up the card to create "plants".

I trimmed and mounted the image and buffed it to a shine with a soft tissue. A design like this really needs no more embellishment!

 
I would like to join in with the following challenges:
 
Alphabet Challenge - N for No Patterned Paper  
Crafty Gals Corner - Anything Goes 
Glitter and Sparkle - Happy Birthday 
Craft Your Passion - Anything Goes  
 
Now I'm going to end this with a plea for help at Challenges For Days. Challenges for days is a blog challenge listing service - I have been a member of the team for about a year, and we post daily lists of craft challenges that have been updated each day. Each member of the team looks after a particular day's list and updates the post on that day of the week.
 
Sadly one of our members is leaving the team due to family commitments and we are looking for a replacement. You would need to be able to spare around an hour a week (perhaps a little more while you learn the ropes!) and have a Blogger account. There's no reward for this, except the knowledge that you are helping all the crafters who rely on the regular lists for inspiration, and the blogs who rely on them for publicity - so there's a lot of satisfaction in doing it! And as an added bonus, you will often spot new blogs that you hadn't known about and will enjoy taking part in.
 
For further information, and how to apply, see the Help Needed  post that Zoe has added to Challenges For Days.
 
 

 

8 comments:

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

Absolutely stunning Jane and I love the colours that you've chosen :)

Julia Aston said...

What a great dragon image inside your beautifully executed encaustic wax! I have played with encaustic wax a bit but haven't really learned to control the design I get yet! a wonderful magical card! Julia xx

Judy V said...

Pretty card! The background is amazing! Thanks for joining us at Crafty Gals Corner!

Cazro said...

Wow! Jane, your encaustic work certainly draws you in to your mythical creature, amazing work. A wonderful inspirational DT card for Cardz 4 Guyz. Thanks. Caz DT

Zoechaos said...

I love this card and is that Linda's stamp? Her original tattoo.

Julie B said...

That grotto looks a perfect home for your mythical dragon. My friend was telling me about an encaustic demo she went to last month looks a fun technique. :)

alethea said...

Wow, this is stunning. Love the colours and the design. Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion. HUgsxx

Unknown said...

Sorry for taking so long to come and see your work.
This is fab! I love the colours and the effect you get with the encaustic art technique. I have an encaustic art kit at home (have had it for a few years!) but have yet to use it - you may have just inspired me to do so!

Thank you for joining us at the Alphabet Challenge Blog, I do hope you can join us again!

Sheena
xxx