Saturday 30 May 2015

For a special little girl

First of all....... Hello again! I've not been around very much over the last month or so, although scheduled posts and quick drop ins have kept things ticking over, but I've not had chance to return visits and comments, read other blogs and join in challenges as much as I normally like to. A visit to one of my daughters in France, a trip up North to visit my Mum and a visit here from a good friend (complete with a day of total pampering at a spa) have all kept me away from the computer and out of the kitchen and craft room for much of the last few weeks.

Anyway, now I'm ready to get my teeth back into my crafting, and I've started with a card for a Very Important Little Person, my oldest granddaughter who will be six in June. At six, fairies and sparkle are very important features in every day life (as are princesses, Minions and cycling, but I can't fir everything onto one card!) so naturally they had to feature. I also wanted to include lots of die cuts, as Lara loves using the Grand Calibur with me. At the moment she isn't strong enough to turn the handle unaided, but she loves to choose the colours and shapes and is fascinated that a plain piece of card can so easily be transformed into a butterfly or flower (I'm still fascinated by that, too, if truth be told).

The fairy toppers are circle stackers made from a  Buzzcraft Fairy Doodles die cut sheet, available from Foil Play. Mine actually came in one of their great value Lucky Dip kits which are ideal for children and beginners, but as you can see here can also be taken much further. The other materials are from my stash. The glitter card I have used for layering the toppers can be quite tricky to use, as things don't adhere well to the glittery surface, but I sanded away the glitter from the centre of the circle where it was going to be covered up, and then used the red-backed extra strong double sided tape to stick the toppers in place. A tip when using red-backed tape - that backing tape has a powerful static charge that makes it stick to your hands and refuse to be dropped into the waste container. But if you wipe your hands with one of those fabric softener sheets meant for using in tumble driers, it neutralises the charge and you won't end up covered in little bits of red plastic!






I'm sharing this with:

Cuttlebug Mania - Bling
Suzy Bee's Blooming Challenge - Make it Bright and Colourful
Addicted to Stamps and More - Anything Goes

11 comments:

Foil Play said...

What a beautiful card, Jane - I'm sure Lara will love it :D Great tip for dealing with static too. I sometimes have a similar problem with the waste when I'm sealing up cello bags, especially when I have a lot of them to do. I put a piece of brown parcel tape on the table, sticky side up and stick the bits to that as I remove them, keeps them under control!

Jane Willis said...

The fabric softener sheet trick works with cello bag tape too. I never use them in the washing machine any more, they are FAR too useful elsewhere! They are also great for dusting electrical appliances like TVs and hi-fi equipment as they help to prevent the dust from re-settling.

Liz said...

What a gorgeous card - perfect for a six year old. I'm sure your granddaughter will love it! Thanks for the tip about the tumble drying sheets. I was just going to ask if you knew if it would work for the cello bag tape and then I read the comment above. It's so frustrating when your hands get covered in those pesky little strips that just won't come off!

Sue - said...

What a gorgeous card for a little girl. I'm sure she'll love it! Great tip about that awful red backing - I'll certainly try it next time I use it as it usually drives me mad trying to get it off my fingers!

Lisbeth said...

hi
This is gorgeous,fab image and details.xxx
thanks for joining us at cuttle bug mania
greetings Lisbeth
DT-cuttle bug mania

Hazel said...

Gorgeous creation. Thanks for sharing your lovely crafting for Suzy Bee's Bloomin' challenge 82 - hope to see you again soon, Hazel, DT x

Deborah Frings said...

What a gorgeous card - there are so many lovely details and it's perfect for a little girl. Your granddaugher will lvoe it! Thanks so much for playing along with ASM this week!

BTW - sounds like you've had a wonderful month xx

sandie said...

This is a delight, so mich wonderful detail and lovely feminine touches. So pleased you shred with is at ATSM

Cornelia (fun stamping) said...

Awwww - so adorable ! Thanks for playing with us at ATSM!

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness!! Jane, this is amazing!! I hope to be able to color as well as you someday :) Glad you had some nice visits (I want a spa day!!!!) and all is well :) Hugs! Christi

Darnell said...

Your granddaughter will adore this sweet and fun-filled fairy card, Jane! So much color and pizzazz!! I know what you mean about die-cut machines being magical!! Thanks for the tip on the dryer sheets!! Hugs, Darnell